Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The new hallway

After about a week of work, the new floor in the hallway and foyer are down. It was a bit harder than I had anticipated because there were so many tight spaces to work in. I also went very slow in the first few rows to make sure that the boards were straight. You can imagine that 1/4-inch mistake at one end of the hall would make the boards crooked by a couple of feet at the other end.

I am happy to report that the boards are straight. I never thought I would be able to do this by myself. I shouldn't say by myself because Darcey helped immensely by taking a morning off from work to help me along. What I mean is without the help of my mentor Carl. He has taught me everything I know about home repair, and, more importantly, has made me confident that I can get it done. He and I laid the first new floor in the house together. He helped me put the first few rows down in the nursery and then let me do the rest. This time he showed up halfway through to see if I needed help. I was happy to tell him no.

But this isn't a blog about me. It's about Leah and me. So here is where she comes in. This new stretch of flat space is exactly what she needs right now. She can crawl up and down the hallway all day if we let her. As you can see from the video below, she has quite a bit of room. You'll notice that the baseboards aren't in yet. I hope to get that done today. Also, note the point in the video where the camera is resting on the floor. That is about the area where the hole in the hallway used to be. You know, the one that every one of you has stepped in at some point. It's gone now.

Enjoy the show, and I can't wait for all of you to walk on the new floors.

-Sefton


2 comments:

  1. baby noises and cheeks should be currency -- y'all would be rich as croesus. i can't wait to meet this kid. nice work on the floors, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The floors look awesome, Sefton. Great job! And the shining star is so fun to watch - she's so happy! :)

    ReplyDelete