Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Home Alone

Leah and I spent the last three nights home alone because Darcey had class in Columbia on Saturday morning and then she went to Myrtle Beach for a work conference. It was the first time either of us were solely responsible for Leah.

I don't know how single parents do this.

I don't even know how Darcey does this with me helping.

Don't get me wrong, I never felt stressed or put out by the situation, I just couldn't seem to find any time for myself. After Leah would go down at night I would spend the next couple of hours cooking and cleaning. I folded laundry constantly. I pureed fruits and vegetables for baby food. I even planned out meals for the week, made a list of groceries, and went to the store.

And when I could finally put my feet up and relax, I'd fall asleep. And it was good sleep too.

But then I'd just wake up and start the whole day over again with the never-ending beat of reminders rattling through my head. It was like watching the crawl on the bottom of the screen on CNN.

change the diaper. don't forget the medication. where is her pacifier. warm the bottle but don't let her see it. did i pack her lunch. does she need to wear a sweater or is it warm enough outside. do i need to wear a sweater. when did she eat. when did she nap. when did she poop…

But we've made it through the weekend and Darcey will be home tonight. I know they'll be happy to see each other and that I'll be happy to take a shower without listening for shrieks from down the hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment